Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Comparing White's Nature



When I wrote my essay in room and thought of the word "nature," I found myself glancing nowhere in the room. There was so quiet that I could hear clock mechanical sound and racket in other apartment. I saw an ant that crawled up the wall, and a water drop congealed in the cup; I carefully view every bitty movement, sound and smell. I do homework every day regardless of my room, and before the essay I never think of my room as nature, or link between me even humanity. In fact, nature is hidden behind us all the time and it gives us a lot more understanding on profound concepts such as life purpose, death and existence.   In "the Brown Wasps" and "Once more to the Lake," both writers attempt to find the meaning of life from nature they incurred, and there are certain similarity and difference how they construct the nature and develop human life. To me, I strongly favor White's natural perspective which is composed of his personal sentiment.   
In both essays, the writers show the same idea that humans and animals cling and recreate things or places which they know strongly. In "the brown wasps," Loren Eiseley indicates that the human being has a habitual behavior of being on their space and time. They did so "because without them man is lost, not only man but life." (Eiseley 240) In other words, humanity intrinsically wants to evidence their existence by tracing and create memory. Eiseley supports this nature by showing that poor sought to occupy same bench spontaneously. It is just like old brown wasps "creep slowly over an abandoned wasp nest in a thicket." (Eiseley 240) She further extends this essence other animals: a field mouse recreated the hole to show its existence; pigeons came back in the same old train station. She gives such examples because she wants to tell that every organism clings to things and places thoughtlessly, and therefore, establish self-cognition of existence and reassure them. 
In the same path, E.B. White wrote his essay that he revisited...

No comments: